Treatment programs must be personalized to each client’s needs to have lasting effects, and there are many variables to consider when selecting the right protocol for your unique situation. Single-gender programs often have certain distinct advantages over co-ed programs, removing barriers to healing.
When seeking a men’s addiction treatment program in Ohio, consider Midwest Center at Youngstown. In our men’s rehab, you can have the specialized attention you require to achieve and maintain permanent sobriety. Call us today at 844.544.0502 to discuss with one of our team members whether a men’s rehab program is right for you.
How Is Men’s Addiction Treatment Distinct from Co-Ed Treatment?
Men can be disproportionately impacted by social and cultural dynamics. In addition, there are certain physiological differences between men and women as relates to addiction. This can lead men struggling with addiction to require unique medical treatment. These manifest as unique needs for each group.
For example, men often face a higher societal expectation to drink or take drugs in public, so they may combine substance use with expected conduct in their workplace and personal life. Unfortunately, this means they are also prone to underplaying the significance of these issues, as well as ignoring the very problems they endeavor to self-medicate with drugs or alcohol. They are also more likely to go on drinking binges and typically begin their substance use at an earlier age. These factors can lead to issues with substance use.
5 Benefits of a Men’s Rehab Program
One method to address these concerns is to participate in a men’s addiction treatment program, where all of the clients and most or all of the participating staff members are men.
Some of the potential benefits of men’s rehab include:
- Cultivating a more conducive environment for male bonding. Many adult men hold positive nostalgic associations with sports teams, fraternities, childhood scouts, or other groups where they formed close connections with their male peers. Male-only group therapy sessions can evoke a similar feeling of camaraderie. This allows clients to form a close cohort with others undergoing treatment for similar issues.
- Emotional safety. Men are far less likely than women to obtain support to deal with certain childhood traumas, especially those that may threaten their current sense of self. However, male-only groups may permit them to feel more vulnerable without fearing social stigma.
- Elimination of social distractions. Many heterosexual or bisexual men may experience complex, interconnected feelings surrounding substance use and close romantic relationships. Eliminating women from the scene allows these individuals to better focus on their treatment. It can also offer the ability to examine these connections from an outside perspective.
- Reflections on past behavior. Statistically speaking, women are more likely to be the victims of male aggression. This can be be tied to either party’s substance use. Sober reflection may allow men to examine their past actions publicly, but they may refrain from sharing if they observe women who are triggered by their stories or who feel threatened by their past behaviors.
- Differences in male physiology. Finally, the hormonal uniqueness of men means they may have different needs in the detox process. For example, men’s bodies may be able to eliminate certain chemicals more quickly than their female counterparts.
Discover Men’s Addiction Rehab at Midwest Center at Youngstown
Our men’s addiction treatment program at Midwest Center at Youngstown can offer you the gender-specific support you need. Medical, psychological, social, and emotional support can help you move beyond substance use to a brighter future. Call our team at 844.544.0502 to learn more about the many benefits of men’s addiction treatment programs and how you can get started on your journey towards healing today.