Your journey towards permanent sobriety does not end with detox. To navigate the inevitable stumbling blocks that will emerge as you return to your regular life and responsibilities, you must have a firm addiction aftercare program in Youngstown in place. At Midwest Center at Youngstown, we will help you ensure that the lessons learned in treatment are only the beginning of a happier life. Call our team today at 844.544.0502 to learn about the role of addiction aftercare towards your own successful, lasting recovery.
What Is Addiction Recovery Aftercare?
Addiction recovery aftercare is a thorough plan created before a patient leaves a residential treatment program, detailing what to do to prevent (or in the case of) relapse. It also provides clear action plans towards the achievement of the patient’s long-term personal goals.
What Are the Components of an Addiction Aftercare Program?
Individual addiction aftercare programs are structured around the patient’s unique strengths and the resources available to them within their community. While in residential treatment, they will have worked hard to uncover some of the underlying issues that contributed to their substance abuse. They might also have created a list of potential triggers they must avoid during their first year of sobriety.
These directives may be expanded to include members of the household or loved ones and may include:
- Membership and ongoing participation in their treatment center’s alumni program. This allows patients to build a rich support network. The perspectives of others in recovery can be crucial for a successful transition.
- Supports to assist with sober living, including wellness programs and ongoing access to individual or group therapy.
- A clear prescription for ongoing counseling, with a plan to taper frequency as the patient acquires additional sober living skills.
- Plans for routine self-care and stress management, such as dietary or exercise programs.
- Clear protocols on how the individual should respond in the case of intense cravings. This will include a list of alternative coping mechanisms.
- Instructions on exactly what to do in the case of relapse.
How Do You Create an Aftercare Plan?
An addiction aftercare plan is created as a patient concludes their residential treatment. It’s developed in consultation with all the doctors, counselors, and critical staff members involved in the patient’s therapy and care. This plan will be created before discharge, permitting the patient ample time to ask questions or articulate concerns to the team.
Some of the factors considered in this plan may include:
- If a period of structured outpatient aftercare will be required, as well as its specific components. These might include individual or group therapy and ongoing medical visits.
- Whether or not the patient will be returning to work in the same capacity.
- Checking that the patient has access to safe and reliable housing and transportation, including a possible temporary transition to a sober living home.
- Connecting the patient with therapy options available in their community and/or making plans to continue in-person or virtual sessions.
- Specific information and support for the patient’s family and support network.
The duration of the addiction aftercare plan will depend on the patient’s personal history. However, it typically accounts for at least a few weeks of re-orientation to regular life. Some individuals, such as adolescent patients or patients with outstanding legal issues, may require follow-ups for a year or more.
Addiction Aftercare Program at Midwest Center at Youngstown
Although the transition back to regular life may seem daunting, there will come a time when you are ready for this step. At Midwest Center at Youngstown, we will see you through every stage of this process, guaranteeing your best chance of success once you return to your regular life and responsibilities. Help is available today. Call our team at 844.544.0502 to begin your own journey towards lasting recovery.